Garden eggs, also known as eggplant is a very good source of dietary fiber, potassium, manganese, copper and thiamine (vitamin B1).
The garden egg stew is a very popular meal, it is very easy and fast to cook. It can be served with a variety of dishes ranging from rice, pasta, plantain, potatoes to boiled yam, just name it. When cooked without meat, it serves as an awesome meal for vegetarians.
The garden egg stew can be so alluring and depending on the ingredients. However, the presence of fried crayfish helps improve taste.
Garden eggs are great for weight loss and due to the nature of the eggs, they get tender very quickly. When making the garden egg stew you may choose to
-chop and sauté the garden eggs before putting it in the stew.
-peel off the skin before cooking or you might just decide to leave it. Which ever one works best for you.
You will need:
1. Garden eggs
2. Tomatoes 3 raw and 1 16 or 24oz can of whole tomatoes/ tomato puree
3. Pepper, tatashe (red bell peppers) and Onions. (OmoAlata Pepper Mix, GBAM! )
4. Spices (seasoning cubes and any other spice you like)
5. Meet of choice; Cow foot/ beef/chicken/fish
7. Fried crayfish
8. Garlic (optional)
9. Smoked fish
What to do:
Before you begin cooking
-Wash and blend peppers and onion together.
(OmoAlata Pepper Mix)
-Wash, season and boil the fish. Set it aside and mash when cooked properly.
1. Wash then cut the garden egg and boil it until it is tender.
2. When garden eggs are soft (the skin would start to peel off), remove and place in a bowl of cold water then start to remove skin.
3. Drain and then blend/pound/mash it with a wooden spoon.
4. Add palm oil to a frying pan and let it heat, add the blended pepper(OmoAlata Pepper Mix) and fry for about 3-6 minutes till it thickens and dry to a bit.
5. Add the spices and other extras like crayfish, fish, shredded chicken/beef etc. add salt to taste.
6. Add the crushed garden egg, stir together and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
7. Scoop and serve with your preferred dish.
With OmoAlata, the steps are cut short.
To add a few Nutritional benefits of Garden Egg-
1. The garden egg can be regarded as a brain food. It contains nasunin which protects the fats in brain cell membranes.
2. Garden eggs have been found to be beneficial for people with glaucoma because it lowers the eye pressure.
3. Egg Plant is low in calories and high in fibre; it is good for carbohydrate counters and dieters can actually snack on garden eggs in-between meals.
4. Individuals with existing and untreated kidney or gallbladder problems may want to avoid eating eggplant. This is because Eggplant contains measurable amounts of oxalates; when oxalates become too concentrated in body fluids, they can crystallize and cause health problems- Kidney stone, gallbladder and the likes.
Please share a picture of how the sauce turned out on @OmoAlata or Facebook we’d like to see…